Saturday 19 October 2013

Final Magazine Proposal And Character Profile

With the feedback from my focus group, I was able to develop on my plan to create a proposal for my magazine. I know from them that my ideas would sit well with my target audience, and that I should go ahead with them. Because I know I can go ahead with my ideas, I can go into more specific details.


Final Magazine Proposal


My magazine is going to be based around electronic dance music (EDM). Electronic dance covers a wide range of music, and so my magazine will do have a variety of content in the same manner. I have decided that the title of the magazine will be Remix. I believe this is relevant to the genre I am covering as a lot of dance music tracks are remixes of existing songs. Remixes are also a common creation of DJs, who often make a lot of dance music. It’s also a short and catchy title that will stick in the head of a buyer.

My ideal target audience will be males and females between the ages of 16-24. The magazine would be slightly more focused towards males, however. I have chosen this age because that is the age group that EDM is most popular in. They are also an outgoing age group, especially towards the early twenties. Those in that age group will be likely to go to clubs on the weekends when they aren’t at sixth form or university. The social class I will be targeting will be class D, as a good portion of the target audience will be in full-time education, and so will not be able to afford much. In terms of lifestyle categories, I will more likely be targeting the Trendies, Groupies and Egoists, as they are the ones most likely to go out to clubs, and so enjoy more EDM.

My magazine will be published once every month. I decided on a monthly publication as it will allow for more time for me to gather more content for my magazine. There aren’t always many newsworthy events in the dance world, so publishing the magazine too often could lead to it lacking in interesting articles. I also have to consider how many times a month my audience will be willing to pay for the magazine. Once is a suitable amount to start from and I can observe whether or not the audience likes that. Thanks to my survey results and focus group, I already know that most people in my target audience would prefer a monthly publication.

I have decided to make an EDM magazine because I know that there aren’t many magazines in the UK that appeal specifically to that audience. There are only two major EDM magazines in the UK – Mixmag and DJ magazine. Mixmag has a heavier focus on clubs and advertising them, and is also targeted at a much higher social class, which means that there’s less competition in the one that I’m targeting. I’m aware that I may appear to be targeting a niche audience, but most people in that age group have been to a party or rave and heard dance music, and my magazine would be a good way to find out more about it.

My magazine could contain a variety of articles. From my survey results I can tell that my target audience would be interested in seeing interviews from artists both famous and up-and-coming. I can also feature music reviews and articles otherwise focusing on one artist or group. As long as the articles don’t focus too much on the artist’s personal life, they should hold the reader’s interest.
It will promote the idea that young adults enjoy going out and partying by featuring them doing that in pictures.

My survey results tell me that the feature that draws them to a magazine the most is the cover model. I also know that a famous cover model is much more likely to draw in potential buyers. Therefore, I will use a famous EDM artist or DJ as the cover model. I can also use cover lines that draw emphasis to famous artists or buzz words. The former would look like celebrity endorsement, which is a good way to persuade buyers to purchase the magazine.


Character Profile


This is Ashley. She is a seventeen year old full time student at sixth form. Although she has to go to it five days a week, she likes to go out with her friends on the weekends. One of the activities she likes to do with her friends is go out partying – usually at a club. There she gets to hear – among other things – new electronic dance music. She remembers the name of any songs she hears and looks up more music from the artist on the internet when she gets home. She also likes to use social networking to keep in touch of her friends outside of sixth form.











No comments:

Post a Comment